As you may already know, Apple has recently released the new MacOS Sierra (10.12) Operating System to the general public. If you’re thinking of upgrading and also have iWeb installed on your computer read on…
Is my hardware capable of Supporting macOS Sierra?
macOS Sierra can only be installed on the following Macs with a minimum of 2GB memory and 8.8 GB storage space free…
- iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
- Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
If your Mac is older than those listed you won’t get offered an update to the new OS if you run the App Store.
As well as the above hardware compliance you’ll need to have one of these Mac operating systems installed…
- OS X El Capitan v10.11
- OS X Yosemite v10.10
- OS X Mavericks v10.9
- OS X Mountain Lion v10.8
- OS X Lion v10.7
Is iWeb compatible if I upgrade to macOS Sierra?
So far it’s early days for the new OS, but reports coming in from various sources, including our own testing, point to some issues with iWeb such as
- The blog post list is too small so can’t be used at all as you can’t see any blog posts!
- Intermittent and inconsistent crashing when publishing websites leading to Force Quit scenarios
- Images sometimes fail to publish at all
- Sometimes code appears on published pages
- Lack of support for retina images within iWeb and no Retina display support for published websites.
You can probably still use iWeb on macOS Sierra as long as you don’t mind putting up with some, or all, of the problems listed above. Apple’s new APFS file system, introduced in macOS Sierra, is built for the future as it underpins and unites macOS, iOS, watchOS and tvOS. However, for legacy applications such as iWeb, it may prove to be the cause of crashes and other compatibility issues.
There’s also the ongoing issues caused by iWeb not being updated, or maintained, for over five years now. Technology moves on so our recommendation is to look out for the upcoming EverWeb 2.0 release. The new version is in beta test at the moment and is expected to include blogging as it’s headline feature. iWeb users will feel right at home with EverWeb’s easy to use iWeb like interface that brings today’s technology with it. We’ll update you on this exciting new release as more details emerge and a launch date is announced!