EverWeb has a great set of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) features although you don’t actually encounter anything in the product that explicitly says ‘SEO’ as it’s all built directly in to the product. This makes life easier especially if you’re just starting to use EverWeb for the first time to build your website. You can just jump in without having to consciously worry about SEO.
We all know, however, that for many websites high visibility can be very important, or even crucial, especially if you are running any form of business. Even if your website is just for your hobby or for a group or association you belong to, why not make is as easy as possible for others sharing your interest to find you?
Better SEO improves your chances of getting your website more visible in search engine results. Here are some tips as to how you can make your SEO better right from within EverWeb…
- If you’re new to EverWeb and SEO, it’s recommended that you start by following EverWeb’s ‘SEO for EverWeb Video Course’. This will give you a great overview and understanding of how to implement SEO in your website.
- Much of EverWeb’s SEO can be found in the Page Details! This section of the the Page Settings tab of the Inspector Window is the key place to add SEO. The EverWeb Video Course is again the place to quickly find out about how to find and use the right Keywords to use to complete fields such as Web Page Title and Web Page Description.
- Focus your SEO efforts on the pages that you want people to discover. Add SEO first to the pages in your website that ‘add value’ to your site. For example, it’s not worth adding SEO to your ‘404 Page not found’ error page.
- Make the ‘File Name’ field in the Page Details section something meaningful as this is good for your SEO. Sometimes, however, this may be difficult as everyone uses common words such as Home, About, Contact Us and so on as page names. In these instances it’s often better to sacrifice a bit of SEO for a page name that makes sense to your visitors.
- If you’re using EverWeb version 2.4 or higher, you should be using the ‘Language’ Localization field to create localized SEO results to target your local market. Don’t forget that you can also add Language Localization at a website wide level using the ‘Language’ field in Site Publishing Settings.
- The Navigation Menu Display Name is another great field for adding in keywords. If you use EverWeb’s Navigation Menu widget each menu option is actually a hyperlink. This is useful for SEO as search engines look for hyperlinks in websites.
- The Web Page Title is the text that is displayed at the top of the browser screen when you view a page. Add a couple of keywords in to field for SEO purposes but make sure that the page title remains understandable to your visitors and not just a list of keywords.
- The Web Page Description field isn’t really taken advantage of in SEO but it can be of benefit to your visitors as it gives a bit more information about the page contents. Add text to this field that is welcoming to entice visitors to click on the page!
- Websites are more visual than ever and search engines will look at image file names for SEO keywords as well as looking at text. Image file names should describe the image itself for the best SEO benefit. Name your image files before importing them into EverWeb if you can. If you’ve already imported images in to EverWeb, you can still get some SEO benefit by renaming the file(s) from within the Assets tab.
- Use ALT-Text whenever you see it! When you add an image file to your website, use the ALT Text field in the Shape Options tab to add in some ALT Text. This text should describe what the image is. ALT Text is used when the web browser can’t display the image itself. If this happens the ALT Text is displayed instead. Using ALT Text is can also benefit those who are visually handicapped and rely on computer software to read text on screen back to them.
- Start blogging! Google and other search engines love new, original content. Writing a blog with fresh content on a regular basis will help your website to be crawled more by search engine spiders which is good for your SEO. Remember to keep your content original and add a couple of keywords into the text as well. This will again help your SEO but don’t go overboard on adding keywords in to your blog posts as this can actually negatively impact your page rankings.
- And last but not least… do you have a mobile version of your website? This is incredibly important as Google and other web search engines now prioritize mobile websites over desktop websites. The reasoning here is sound as most people today access websites through browsers on their mobile phones. If you haven’t done so already, it may be an idea to get to work on your mobile website design, and don’t forget that to include all of the above tips in your design!
There are plenty of ways in which you can easily improve your SEO in your website. Once you Get in to the habit of using the above tips, it will become second nature for you to do this when creating your website!