Applying Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to your website is probably something that you will either be actively engaged in or not. If you’re developing a website that’s going to be selling goods and services, then SEO is probably going to be something you’ll want to focus on. If you’re developing a site for your hobby or personal use, you may not be interested in SEO at all.
As you may already know, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of improving your website’s visibility to search engines so that your site can rank higher in search engine results. Even if you’re not interested in SEO, having your website sufficiently visible to search engines is useful. Potential visitors to your site will find you more easily when they don’t know your website’s address and have to use a search engine to find you instead. You may also find that you get new visitors as well!
Update: EverWeb SEO PowerUp is a new add-on in EverWeb 3.4 that will do much of the SEO optimizations for you including creating XML Sitemaps, create robots.txt files, optimize your site for search engine and submit your website to search engines when publishing
Where is SEO in EverWeb?
When using EverWeb to build your website, you might be surprised that there are no overt references to SEO. If you’re a newcomer to the world of SEO, the best way to get your feet under the table is by following the SEO for EverWeb Video Course. The course is concise with most videos lasting only a couple of minutes. It’s a great way to quickly understand how to apply SEO rules and strategies to your website.
If you are familiar with SEO, you’re likely be familiar as to how and where to apply SEO in your site but there’s quick guide later in this blog to make sure that you hit the main SEO ‘targets’.
It All Starts with Research
The main backbone to SEO is Keywords. A Keyword is a word, phrase or term, that you enter in to your browser’s search box. Using Keywords that will gain you most traction in search engine results can be tricky. It’s easy to want to use common words, but if you Google such words e.g. ‘shoes’, you’ll find that it yields millions of results (e.g. in my search over 4,870,000,000!). It would be a huge undertaking to try to get to the top of the list in this case. You could pay Google to advertise but that could be very costly.
So instead, try think more specifically about what you want to target e.g. ‘patent leather winklepickers’ says a lot more about the type of shoe that you want to sell and your target market. This keyword term is more focused on your market and gives you a better chance of being at the top end of search results then at the bottom.
One of the best ways to work out which Keywords, or terms, to use is by using Google Ads Keyword Planner. Here, you can try different options to see which words or phrases will potentially yield the best results in terms of target audience and market. Once you have a couple of good Keywords or terms, you can apply them to your pages in EverWeb.
How To Target Your SEO
The following lists the essentials in terms of what you should be applying to your website’s pages for better SEO in EverWeb:
- Apply SEO only to the pages that are important to you. Not every page in your site needs SEO applied to it. Pages such as the ‘About Us’ pages usually don’t need SEO applied to them, whereas ‘Home’ pages and product pages usually do.
- Use Keywords intelligently. Each page in your site that you apply SEO to will probably need its own specific Keywords. Using the same keywords on each page of your site could have you competing against yourself in SEO page rankings!
- Don’t forget that your website’s usability and content take priority over SEO. It’s easy to let the desire for better page rankings overtake the usability and functioning of your site. You may end up having a great SEO ranking but with a site that visitors click away from immediately when they see a Home page loaded with Keyword terms. Remember, content and usibility always come first!
- Less Is More… It’s often tempting to saturate your pages with Keywords. You don’t need to. Again this could become counter productive. Instead, just use a couple of well chosen Keywords per page.
- Use Title Tags! The Title Tag is the string of text that is displayed at the top of the web browser. It’s probably the most important optimization you’ll need to use for SEO. In EverWeb this field is found in the Page Settings tab and is called ‘Web Page Title’. When completing this field, try to be descriptive about what the page is about rather than just entering generic text such as ‘Home Page’.
- Use the Web Page Description field. Although your ‘Web Page Description’ may not directly affect your SEO, it’s used as the text that you see under the page links in search engine results. As such it’s very visible! If possible, use your Keywords in the description if it’s appropriate to do so, keep the page description unique and limit the description to about 100-150 words.
- Use Your Page’s File Name Properly. The ‘Filename’ field in EverWeb’s Page Settings tab is where you name your page. It’s a great place to add your Keyword, if appropriate, as it will be used in the page’s URL.
- Header Tags. These are great to use for titles within your pages, where they replace TextBox titles and headings. You can prioritize titles so that search engines know how better to categorize your website. Again, use this feature wisely. Drag and drop the Header Tags widget on to the page of your site and enter the title you want to use in the Widget Settings. If appropriate use your Keywords in the title. As a rule, it’s good to have only one h1 tag per page. You can add multiple h2 or h3 tags if you need to. Again less is more when using Heading Tags.
These are just some suggestions as to how to prioritize SEO in your EverWeb website. If you’re already using EverWeb’s SEO features, remember it’s useful from time to time to check to see if the Keywords you are using still relevant. Often over time, the contents of the pages in your site changes so your SEO should be updated to reflect this as well.
There’s a lot more to explore with SEO in EverWeb such as Site Shield Addon and other ways to optimize your website for SEO. We will have more EverWeb & SEO features coming in the near future!